‘The program has made home life a lot more pleasant for all my family and my son’ – Mum
There were several key issues with this 7 year old boy when he came for his first assessment and his mum outlined these. He had limited concentration in most activities.There was no spoken language. He used PECS, hand pointing or leading to a place. He was understandably frustrated by these communication limitations. He had no sense of danger and needed constant supervision when awake. Walking was uncomfortable and he got blisters on his feet.After the program his mum noted some of the changes………
- His understanding is much better.
- He will now go and get things when asked.
- He has a more outward view of life.
- He is much nosier and wants to investigate more.
- He approaches people to communicate. He used to just sit. Now he moves around more and wants to come and communicate. He wants to join in with the family.
- I can reason with him.
- There is a lot more cooperation. When I ask him to do something he doesn’t react negatively or moan. When I say it’s time to go home, he will just get up and go without a fuss. He used to throw himself on the floor, cry, refused to cooperate physically and moan.
- Family life is much better because he is calm and more co-operative. He is a lot happier in himself. He can accept things more easily.
- Another parent has commented: ‘He is much calmer and more accepting. He is more interested in the other children now and taking part a lot more. He is far more cooperative and has a sense of humour. There is much more awareness – for example, he now looks at mum to see if he can do something’
Further reading see Brainchild Impact of Evaluation Report